General tips for getting ready:
- The migration takes approximately 1 second per message, so the fewer messages you have, the less time it should take.
- We recommend that you start pruning your folders in both quantity and capacity. Some folders may not make the migration. Reduce your total message count.
- Document your Filters if you’re using a client with filtering capability.
- Save a copy of your signature to a plain text file (.txt) via Notepad (Windows) or TextEditor (Mac) outside of your email.
Email cleaning tips:
- Delete your old Sent mail.
- Save your email file attachments to a local or network drive and delete them from your email.
- Empty your Trash. Unpurged messages in your trash will copy to the new system.
The Migration Process – What actually happens during the change.
At the time of your email migration here is what will happen:
- You will receive an email that the process has begun. This will be the last email you receive in your old mailbox.
- From now on all new messages will arrive in your new mailbox which you can get to at https://mail.google.com/a/mspcs.net.
- Note for any mail forwarding users your mail forward will break. You will have to reset this in Google.
- We will begin copying the entire contents of your email over to your new mailbox.
- During the transition you will still be able to access your old email in your old mailbox, so you may need to go back-and-forth a bit if you need to look at old and new messages for your work.
- When the process is finished, you will receive an email notification in your new mailbox that your migration is complete.
Post Migration Checklist
Once your migration to the Google Mail has been completed you will want to do the following
- Go to https://mail.google.com/a/mspcs.net and log-in to your mail account.
- See if anything’s missing or awry. For a variety of reasons, some email might not make the transition. If you find important messages haven’t made it over, you can move them manually into your new mailbox.
- If you still prefer to use a mail client program, add your new mailbox to your email program. You will need to configure it to work with your MSPCS Gmail account.
- Re-configure your mobile device. If you had your mobile device set to check your MSPCS email you will need to re-configure it for the new system.
- Enjoy the new features! Google Apps for Education is much more than just email. Explore the many options available to you now provided by Google. If you need technical assistance, Erika or Jean can help walk you through the process of setting up your email.